Just as in 925 silver, which is also known as sterling silver, the numbers 500 and 950 show the purity in thousands of palladium in the alloy. Palladium hallmarked 950 means that the jewellery is made of 95% Palladium, while the remaining 5% is made of other metals. In other words, it has 950 parts in thousand Palladium. On the other side, Palladium 500 is made up of 50% Palladium, while the rest 50% is made up of mainly silver.
Palladium is a very rare metal in the platinum group of metals and looks very similar in colour to platinum but is much less dense - this means it is a great choice if you want the steely white colour of platinum but not the weight on your finger. It is now cherished for its lustrous silvery-white finish and because of its similar properties to platinum. Palladium is resistant to corrosion and will not tarnish. It is relatively hard-wearing. One of its best attributes is being a low maintenance ring as it does not require plating.